We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Low carb spaghetti squash and meatballs is a delicious alternative to carb heavy pasta. Around here we require lots of good, filling food at supper so before we went low carb as a family spaghetti was a frequent flyer in my kitchen. Now a days I only feed 2 growing teenagers, my hard working husband and myself but some days that number can double. Ever feed 3 hungry men after a long days work? How about adding a couple extra teenagers to the mix? As I’m sure you can imagine feeding a growing family requires a lot of food.
Since we have adopted a low carb diet in our house, I was put to the task of finding a healthy, hearty replacement for spaghetti. Enter spaghetti squash! Although it may not be an exact replica of the spaghetti you know, it can quickly become something your family actually requests! And it is so super filling that this low carb spaghetti squash and meatballs actually keeps the bottomless pit we call a teenager, full until the next meal. Or at least pretty close anyways. So when we get the craving for a big plate of spaghetti and meatballs I roast up a couple spaghetti squash and everyone loves it.
Here is my favourite part of spaghetti squash. It is not only mild in taste, making it a popular replacement for traditional noodle, but it contains a mere 7g of total carbs and 1.5g of fiber per cup! It is a nice, rich, filling meal perfect for any growing family. And although I prefer to oven bake my spaghetti squash, in a pinch you can throw it in the microwave and have a quick spaghetti meal in no time at all.
Spaghetti Squash and Meatballs
- 2 Medium Spaghetti Squash
- 1 Tbsp Melted butter
- 1 Tsp Each of salt and pepper
- 2 Cups Low Carb Marinara sauce
- 1.5 Lbs Prepared meatballs
- 2 Cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- *Preheat oven to 400°*Cut Spaghetti Squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds*Place on baking sheet cut side up*Brush with melted butter and season with salt & pepper*Roast for about 50-60 minutes*Let cool for 10-15 minutes*Once Squash is cooled scrape and loosen flesh with a fork to create strands*Top with 4 meatballs, 1/2 cup marinara, 1/2 cup of mozzarella and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese*Broil on low until cheese is golden and bubbly
Like what you see? Come on over and join us on Facebook for more great low carb, family friendly recipes and a wonderfully supportive group of people.