We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Do you struggle with maintaining stable blood sugar? I know many diabetics and most seem to struggle with maintaining stable blood sugar. My mom in particular has spent a lot of time trying to find that delicate balance that quite honestly is the difference between life and death. Some days she deals with blood sugars that are way to high and yet the next she can hit a low that is scary for everyone near her. Although there are no foods that will lower your levels there are foods that won’t raise blood sugar levels.
Here are 5 foods you can eat without worrying about shooting your blood sugar levels through the roof.
1. Avocado is high in fatty acids and low GI. They are also low in carbs and high in fibre content so diabetics can enjoy avocado in moderation without the stress of raising blood sugar levels. Try making a natural, no sugar added, decadent avocado chocolate pudding as a nice afternoon snack. So yummy and filling and won’t raise your blood sugars.
2. Tuna or really any fish. Protein not only keeps you fuller longer it also helps your body to repair itself and does not effect your blood sugar levels. Filling up on protein instead of bread or pasta is an excellent way to help manage your blood sugar levels. Fish is low in unhealthy fats, high in omega 3 fatty acids and quick and easy to prepare. Check out This amazing sugar free, low carb fish dinner.
3. Spinach, kale and chard are all great food that won’t raise your blood sugar levels. Leafy greens are high in nutrients like magnesium and vitamin A and are also a good source of fibre. These nutrients can help maintain good blood sugar levels. Adding more leafy greens to you diet doesn’t have to be hard. Start by adding spinach to your morning smoothie like these diabetic friendly smoothie.
4. Blackberries and blueberries make a nice mid afternoon snack that won’t raise your blood sugar levels as much as other fruits. These little berries are packed full of fibre and have high amounts of anthocyanins. Both of which helps slow down digestion and also helps prevent spikes in your blood sugar.
5. Chia seeds are one of my favourite foods that won’t raise blood sugar levels. They are tiny little powerhouses full of healthy fats, omega 3s, calcium, antioxidants and they are high in fiber. They are also super easy to add in to your diet. Check out these great recipes using chia seeds.
Whether you are looking to lose weight, reverse a prediabetic diagnosis or cope with your existing diabetes finding foods that won’t raise blood sugar is an important step. Keeping stable blood sugar is a vital part of keeping your body healthy and functioning properly.
Looking for more tips for stabilizing your blood sugar levels and maintaining overall good health? Click here to join me on Facebook. We offer monthly healthy living challenges as well as support each other in making those small changes in life. Hope to see you over there in time for our next monthly challenge!!