We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Do you know what happens when you don’t drink enough water? Did you know the average woman should be consuming 72 ounces of water every day? That’s a lot of water and a lot of bathroom breaks!! Is it really necessary?
I don’t know about you but drinking water is usually the furthest thing from my mind. We lead busy lives and it’s not always convenient to be drinking lots and running to the washroom constantly. So staying hydrated tends to be put on the back burner.
However, considering the human is 60% H2O and we lose water every day through sweating, peeing and even breathing, it is very important to keep replenishing ourselves. Overall staying hydrated can help you maintain brain function, keep your digestive tract regular and help you lose weight.
6 things that happen when you don’t drink enough water:
- Constipation: No one really likes to discuss what’s going on in the bathroom but it is important. When you don’t drink enough water your poop can become dry and hard to pass. When we are dehydrated our bodies pull all available H2O from our bodies. If you drink enough water less water will be drawn from your colon leaving your stool soft and easy to pass.
- Wrinkles: Did you know if you drink water and keep yourself hydrated daily you will be doing a lot for your skin. We all dread wrinkles but alas it is something very few of us avoid. But by drinking proper amounts of water every day you can improve the elasticity of your skin and reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
- Lack of focus: The brain is about 85% water and brain function is largely dependent on having access to lots of water. So when your brain has an unlimited supply of good old H2O you will have more creativity, be better focused on what you are doing and think faster. Because your brain can’t store water you must stay continually hydrated. Just drink your water so you can focus on what needs to be done! Your brain will be so thankful.
- Weight loss plateau: Drinking water is a huge help when trying to lose weight. If you are drinking lots of water your body will stop retaining water leading to dropping some extra water weight. Also water helps curb your appetite, most of the time when you think you are hungry your body is actually just craving a glass of water. Water helps cleanse your body and boosts your metabolism, very helpful when trying to lose weight.
- Sugar cravings: Being dehydrated interferes with serotonin levels in our brains which can result in a lack of feeling satiated. That feeling of having enough food and not needing to eat another meal. Low serotonin levels can be a trigger to eat more and can also bring on food cravings, especially for sugar and carbs. So drinking more water will help curb those sugar cravings.
- Headache: If you suffer from chronic headache or migraines you should definitely increase the amount of water you are drinking. When you do not drink enough water your brain tissue becomes less hydrated. This causes the tissue to shrink and pull away from the skull triggering pain receptors. This is where most headaches start. If you find you have a headache beginning try drinking a glass of water. It may help.
Keeping hydrated is crucial to your health and well being. Although we all struggle with drinking enough water in a day it is something we should all strive to improve. So put down that can of pop or that cup of coffee and pick up your water bottle.
For more tips on staying healthy click here!!